I love carbs. Gnocchi = mini balls of carbs. I love gnocchi. I can’t really think of a more dreamy post exercise meal. High protein, high carb comfort food made in one dish. Dreamy af.
Dad and I bought the gnocchi a little while ago and have been waiting for the opportune time to use it, and we figured a cold November night was probably the one. I did all the prep for this before shoving it in the oven while I did a sprint session on the exercise bike. Perfect. As per, I didn’t use a recipe and didn’t really measure things out when I chucked anything and everything in, but here’s a rough guide to a top notch dish (4.8 stars out of 5 according to my dad).
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red pepper
- 400g turkey breast
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 500g gnocchi
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 – 2 heaped tbsp red pesto
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Few drops Tabasco
- Half a bag of spinach
- 1 tbsp natural yogurt (the runny stuff)
- 50g mature cheese
- 1 ball mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Chop the veg and heat in a large pan with some coconut oil. Dice the turkey and add it to the pan and brown for around 7 minutes.
3. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, fill the tin half full with water, rinse and add to the pan.
4. Add the gnocchi and the rest of the ingredients except the spinach, yogurt and cheese. Leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the spinach to the pan and leave to wilt. Add the yogurt and give it a good old mix. Season to taste and add anything else that takes your fancy.
6. Grate over the cheddar and tear up the mozzarella and layer it on. Bung in the oven for 20 minutes/as long as you need, lowering the temp if you’re gonna be a bit longer (I went for half an hour ish on 160 degrees). Enjoy.