Risotto is one of my favourite comfort foods, because realistically, what’s more comforting than a big o’bowl of carbs? This is a cracking post exercise meal, and the best thing about this recipe is that it’s an oven baked risotto, so you can prepare it, then shove it in the oven while you exercise. Dad and I often spend 10 minutes preparing this, then do a HIIT workout while it cooks. Perfect. Don’t get me wrong it’s probably not quite as creamy and luxurious as a risotto you cook on the hob, but this recipe is far easier and probably not quite as bad for you. Ideal.
– 1 level tsp coconut oil
– 6 rashers smokey bacon
– 2 leeks
– 250g risotto rice
– 700ml chicken stock
– 200g frozen peas
– 3 tbsp light cream cheese
– Parmesan to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Chop the bacon into small pieces and gently fry in the coconut oil for 2 mins ish.
2. Meanwhile, slice the leeks in half longways and finely chop before adding to the pan to soften for 5 mins ish.
3. Pour in the rice and cook for a minute or two, until the rice starts to look slightly translucent around the edges.
4. Pour in the stock, cover with a lid and shove it in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring half way through.
5. Once all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is soft, mix in the peas and pop back in the oven for a further two minutes.
6. Once ready, remove the risotto from the oven and mix in the cream cheese. Serve up and and grate a lil bit of Parmesan on top.